Pinterest. It can be a dangerous thing for your waistline…unless you are a growing teenage boy. That teenage boy (we’ve talked about his food obsessions before) is the very reason I’m bringing you this next recipe… Homemade Cookie Butter. And not just ANY Cookie Butter either. This is a SHORTBREAD Cookie Butter, and it’s DELICIOUS!
This creamy goodness was something the teenage Caking Kiddo spotted while sitting next to me one night when I was mindlessly scrolling through Pinterest. A beautiful picture popped up, and he saw the words “COOKIE” and “BUTTER” on the same line, and blurted out, “WHAT IS *THAT*???”. I honestly had never heard of it before, and clicked on the link to learn more. What I found was definitely going to be dangerous for MY waistline…. or what’s left of it.
He really wanted try this newly found treat, so I told him he could make some IF he would make it on Facebook Live with me. He agreed! (video below) He also came up with a BRILLIANT idea to use our favorite shortbread cookies…Lorna Doones!! These little squares of crunchy, buttery heaven are what we use in our Banana Pudding (no ‘Nilla Wafers here). Speaking of Banana Pudding, we used this cookie butter to make a DELICIOUS recipe we will share with you soon! How does a Banana Pudding Cupcake sound?? Yeah…that’s what I thought. Just wait until we show you THAT one…
So, what exactly *is* Cookie Butter? Well, it’s texture is like a nut butter. Think peanut butter or almond butter…but instead of nuts it’s COOKIES! Sounds sinful, right?!? We used it as a dip for some dried fruit, spread it on another cookie, gifted some in a cute little jar to our neighbor, annnnnd even made buttercream with it. Yep…you read that right…BUTTERCREAM!! Basically, Cookie Butter is a deliciously versatile, spreadable sweet treat that you really should make today. Your tastebuds will thank you!
Now, get in the kitchen and make some sweet memories with the ones you love! 🙂
Caking Mom and Kids
TIP: This cookie butter also makes a tasty gift. We made some with Oreos, put it in a cute little jar (like the ones below), made a custom label and we had a homemade and DELICIOUS birthday gift in just minutes. Imagine the possibilities for Christmas gifts, a teachers gift with a beautiful apple, wedding favors, and even a girls night treat! The possibilities are endless.
|Prep Time||10 mins-approx|
|Cook Time||5 mins-approx|
- 8 Ounces Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies Crushed
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt Optional or to taste
- Add your cookies to the bowl of your food processor, and pulse until they are finely ground.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine butter, sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. Heat until just melted.
- With your food processor on, slowly pour the hot liquid into the ground cookies. Process until it comes together and looks like a nut butter. Add the salt now if you are using it, and pulse until it's combined.
- Pour into an airtight jar, and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Let come to room temp before serving.
One thought on “Homemade Cookie Butter”